Need something else?

You can make a water complaint for an apartment building, private home, or commercial building.

The City does not respond to problems caused by internal conditions. The problem is internal if:

  • It is occurring in only one location, such as the bathroom or kitchen
  • The water clears after it has run for 5 to 10 minutes
  • No other tenants in a multi-family building are having the same problem

Tenants can report no water, low water pressure, scalding hot water, or no hot water in an apartment building.

Residential Hot Water Requirements

Hot water must be provided 365 days per year at a constant minimum temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

Before filing a complaint, you should try to resolve the issue with your landlord, managing agent, or superintendent. If you live in a co-op or condo, you should first report apartment maintenance issues to the owner, management company or board before filing a complaint with HPD.

What You Need

If you are making a water complaint for your apartment, you must provide your contact information.

What Happens Next

The Department of Housing, Preservation and Development (HPD) investigates maintenance complaints and tickets owners who break the law.

Learn more about HPD complaints and inspections.

Additional Assistance

There is additional support available for tenants in rent-controlled or rent-stabilized apartments. To learn more, go to the Rent Regulated Apartments page.

For more information about residential property maintenance requirements and tenant rights and responsibilities, use the Housing Rules for Owners and Tenants page.

Copies of maintenance complaints are available for both Tenants and Landlords.For additional questions about a complaint or to get copies of complaints, go to the HPD Building Information and Code Enforcement Borough Service Center page.

Housing Court

If you made a complaint and your landlord didn't fix the problem, you can take legal action in Housing Court. Document all contact with your landlord and HPD about the conditions in your apartment so you can use it in court.

To learn more about Housing Court, go to the Housing Court for Tenants and Landlords page.

You can report no water, high water pressure, or low water pressure in a private home or a commercial building.

Property owners are responsible for the water and sewer lines from the building up to the connection to the main line in the street, including the lines that run under the sidewalk. 

If a licensed plumber has found that the problem is not your responsibility as the property owner, you can ask the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to investigate.

Hot Water in Commercial Building

Commercial tenants must contact the building's owner or manager for hot water supply disputes.

What You Need

You must provide your contact information so DEP can contact you, if necessary. DEP cannot action the Service Request without it.

Report a water problem in a private home or commercial building:

You can report water issues in New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) buildings to the NYCHA Customer Contact Center.

To report unresolved maintenance issues, use the NYCHA Borough Management Office page.

  • Agency: New York City Housing Authority
  • Division: Maintenance Hotline
  • Phone Number: (718) 707-7771
  • Business Hours: 24 Hours
  • Staff is available at all times to handle emergencies and schedule routine maintenance repairs for Mon - Fri: 6:00 AM - midnight. Automated assistance is also available in Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish.