Call 911
Call 911 to report:
  • A person stuck in an elevator
  • An open and unguarded elevator shaft
  • An elevator operating in a dangerous manner
  • An elevator moving before the doors are completely closed
  • Elevator doors opening between floors

Need something else?

You can report an elevator or escalator that is:

  • Not working
  • Not inspected
  • Installed without a permit

Residential tenants can also report a dirty elevator within their rental building.

You can report an elevator or escalator that is not working. Elevators and escalators must be inspected several times per year.

You can report an elevator or escalator that is not inspected or was installed without a permit. Elevators and escalators must be inspected several times per year.

You can make a complaint about a maintenance problem inside a residential building elevator, including:

  • Dirty or unsanitary conditions
  • Broken glass or mirrors
  • Broken light fixtures

Before filing a complaint, you should try to resolve the issue with your landlord, managing agent, or superintendent.

If you live in a co-op or condo, you should first report apartment maintenance issues to the owner, management company, or board before filing a complaint with HPD.

What Happens Next

The Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) investigates maintenance complaints and tickets owners who break the law.

Learn more about HPD complaints and inspections.

Additional Assistance

There is additional support available for tenants in rent-controlled or rent-stabilized apartments. To learn more, go to the Rent Regulated Apartments page.

For more information about residential property maintenance requirements and tenant rights and responsibilities, use the Housing Rules for Owners and Tenants page.

Copies of maintenance complaints are available for both Tenants and Landlords.For additional questions about a complaint or to get copies of complaints, go to the HPD Building Information and Code Enforcement Borough Service Center page.

Housing Court

If you made a complaint and your landlord didn't fix the problem, you can take legal action in Housing Court. Document all contact with your landlord and HPD about the conditions in your apartment so you can use it in court.

To learn more about Housing Court, go to the Housing Court for Tenants and Landlords page.