You can file a complaint about businesses in the City that sell used cars, including auto auction businesses and dealers selling salvage vehicles.

Used car dealerships must give customers:

  • The opportunity to cancel their sales contract within 2 business days, as set forth on the NYC Used Car Contract Cancellation Option form
  • The Used Car Consumer Bill of Rights 
  • The Financing Disclosure, if the customer finances their purchase of the car
  • A copy of all contract documents in the language in which the deal was negotiated

Businesses that sell salvage vehicles or recalled cars, parts, or equipment must give customers:

  • A written statement that the car they are purchasing is a salvage vehicle
  • A copy of recall information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration before customers sign contracts 

Used car dealerships may not:

  • Park their cars on public streets and sidewalks.
  • Require customers to accept financing through the dealership.
  • Require customers to purchase any add-on product as a condition of purchasing a car at a given price.

The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) does not accept complaints about an individual or business operating out of a private residence, including parking cars for sale or repair on residential streets.

What Happens Next

If you provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive a notification by email. You may also be emailed a complaint form, which you must complete and return. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

Used car dealers must give you a bill of sale that includes all of the following:

  • Make, model, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of vehicle sold
  • Manufacture year
  • Cash selling price and/or financed price, listing finance charges
  • Exact method of payment
  • "Important Notice To Buyer" provision
  • Language about Used Vehicle Certification
  • DCA license number

If traded in, bill of sale must include:

  • Allowance on vehicle traded in AND
  • Description by year, make, and VIN

Your bill of sale cannot include any of the following:

  • Disclaimer that the sale of the used vehicle is "as is"
  • Disclaimer of warranties
  • Term that limits the dealer's duty to repair defects that exist at the time of sale
  • Term that limits the dealer's duty to pay for the repair of defects that exist at the time of sale

The Department of Consumer Affairs does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.

The New York City Department of Consumer Affairs can help you with complaints about businesses in New York City. For complaints about businesses elsewhere, contact the local Consumer Affairs office or the State Attorney General's office.


File a complaint with your federal or local government.

By Phone

  • Agency: Nassau County Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (516) 571-2449
  • Business Hours: Mon - Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

  • Agency: Suffolk County Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (631) 231-2400
  • Business Hours: Mon - Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

  • Agency: Westchester County Department of Consumer Protection
  • Phone Number: (914) 995-2155
  • Business Hours: Mon - Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

  • Agency: New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (973) 504-6200
  • Business Hours: Mon - Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM