Need something else?

You can report:

  • Litter basket misuse, including disposal of household or commercial trash
  • An overflowing litter basket
  • A broken or malfunctioning Bigbelly solar trash can

You can report people misusing public litter baskets.

Litter baskets are for pedestrians to throw away light trash. These containers may not be used for household or commercial purposes. Businesses are required by law to dispose of waste by contracting with a private carter or by hauling their own waste to an authorized disposal site.

In order to file a complaint, you must provide:

  • Where the trash is coming from and where it is being disposed
  • Timeframe and days of week when littering occurs
  • Type of items being disposed
  • The name of the business in cases where the basket is in front of a business

What Happens Next

The Department of Sanitation responds to this type of report in 3 to 7 business days.

You can report an overflowing Department of Sanitation public litter basket.

What Happens Next

The Department of Sanitation will respond to this type of report in 1 to 2 business days.

Call 311 to report a broken or malfunctioning Big Belly solar trash can.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No