You can file a complaint about sidewalk eating or drinking establishments, whether enclosed or unenclosed, including complaints that the cafe is: 

  • Unlicensed 
  • Blocking the sidewalk 

The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) does not handle noise or backyard restaurant complaints.

What Happens Next

If you provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive a notification by email. You may also be emailed a complaint form, which you must complete and return. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

You can get help if you have questions about a business closed for unlicensed activity.

Call 311 for assistance.

The Department of Consumer Affairs does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.