You can report asbestos that is exposed or disturbed. Asbestos may be disturbed by removal, handling, or renovations. Asbestos that has been piled or placed in the trash or in dumpsters is also considered disturbed asbestos.

Exposed asbestos is also referred to as in-place asbestos. Exposed asbestos complaints do not include asbestos that was disturbed by removal, handling, or renovations.

You may make a complaint about exposed asbestos in a home, or in a shared area of a multiple dwelling such as a lobby or hallway, or in a business or school.

Report asbestos that is:

You can report disturbed or exposed asbestos in a NYCHA building to the NYCHA Customer Contact Center.

  • Agency: New York City Housing Authority
  • Division: Maintenance Hotline
  • Phone Number: (718) 707-7771
  • Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
  • Staff is available at all times to handle emergencies and schedule routine maintenance repairs for Mon - Fri: 6:00 AM - midnight. Automated assistance is also available in Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish.

To report unresolved maintenance issues, use the NYCHA Borough Management Office page.