Need something else?

You can file a complaint about a business in New York City that: 

  • Refuse exchanges, refunds, or returns 
  • Fail to post a sign with their exchange, refund, or return policy 

A business must post its refund policy at each register, point of sale, or at each entrance.

Businesses must give refunds on unused, undamaged goods within 30 days of purchase if they fail to post a refund policy.

Report a exchange, refund, or return problem with a/n:

What Happens Next

If you provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive a notification by email. You may also be emailed a complaint form, which you must complete and return. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

You can make a complaint about auto repair shops that refuse to make exchanges, refunds, or returns.

  • Agency: New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Division: Vehicle Safety Licensing Complaints
  • Phone Number: (518) 474-8943
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:15 AM - 4:15 PM
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Spanish. Call volume is often high. If you don't get through, call back later.

The Department of Consumer Affairs does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No