You can get basic information about the Staten Island Ferry. If the information you are looking for is not available below, or if you have a more complicated inquiry, you can submit a question to the Department of Transportation.
The Staten Island Ferry travels across New York Harbor between St. George Ferry Terminal on Staten Island and Whitehall Terminal in Lower Manhattan. It departs from two locations:
- St. George Ferry Terminal at 1 Bay Street, Richmond Terrace in Staten Island
- Whitehall Terminal at 1 Whitehall Street at South Street in Lower Manhattan
The ferry is free for all passengers.
Wheelchair and Elevator Access
Passengers with disabilities are permitted to board the ferries from both the upper or lower levels of the boats at both terminals.Some of the boats are equipped with elevators allowing mobility between all decks.
Elevators are available on the following Staten Island Ferry boats:
- The Molinari
- The Marchi
- The Spirit of America
Elevators are NOT available on the following Staten Island Ferry boats:
- The Kennedy
- The Austen
- The Noble
- The Barberi *
- The Newhouse *
* These boats have ramps that passengers with disabilities can use to travel between the first and second decks. The ramp does not provide access to the lower deck.
Animals on Ferry
Service animals and pets are allowed on the ferry. Pets must be caged, muzzled, or crated.
Bicycles and Vehicles on Ferry
The following rules apply to vehicles on the ferry:
- Bicycles are allowed on the ferry. Riders must board on the lower level at both terminals and wait for the boat in the designated bicycle loading areas. All bicyclists must dismount their bicycles before boarding.
- Cars, motorcycles, and trucks are not allowed on the ferry.
Smoking on a Staten Island Ferry or in a Terminal
Smoking is not permitted on the Staten Island ferry or in the terminals.
Pay Phone Locations
Public pay phones are located in both terminals for the Staten Island Ferry:
- Whitehall (Manhattan) - In the waiting room next to the rest rooms
- St. George (Staten Island) - In the waiting room next to the Passenger Service Office and in the Passenger Drop-Off and Pick-Up area
Passenger Taxi Drop-Off and Pick-Up Locations
- Taxis: Drivers picking up and discharging passengers must use the Kiss and Ride location on the south side of the terminal. Drivers are not allowed to use the Taxi Stand located on Ramp E.
- Access-A-Ride: The stop is located on Bus Ramp B.
- United Car Service: Drivers must make pick-ups at the Taxi Stand located on Ramp B. Drop-offs are allowed at both the Taxi Stand and the Kiss and Ride.
- Private taxis and all other car services not affiliated with United Car Service: Drop-offs are only allowed at the Kiss and Ride area located on the south side of the terminal.
Parking Meter Rates
Parking meter rates at the St. George Ferry Terminal South parking lot will change in December 2018.
- Short-term metered parking: $1.50 per hour
- Long-term metered parking: $12 maximum per 18 hours
For additional parking inquiries, go to the Public Parking Lots page.
Leasing Space in a Staten Island Ferry Terminal
To lease a space in a Staten Island Ferry terminal, contact the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC).
Visit the NYC Economic Development Corporation website.
Additional Information or Inquiries
Learn more about the Staten Island Ferry.