Starting in January 2020, you can go to an NYC Free Tax Prep site to get free help preparing your taxes. Tax Day is April 15, 2020.
In general, to use an NYC Free Tax Prep site, you must:
- Earn $64,000 or less if you have dependents.
- Earn $45,000 or less if you do not have dependents.
- Have a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
- Live or work in New York City.
Some sites may have different income eligibility requirements. You should ask the site for more details, including if the site offers language assistance or is wheelchair accessible.
Sites are available throughout the city and offer different options, including:
- In-person assistance: At most sites, an IRS certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) / Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) volunteer preparer will prepare your taxes for you.
- Drop-off service: At some sites, you can drop off your tax documents and pick up the completed return later.
Before you go, make sure to gather all relevant tax documents.
Required Documents to Bring to Site
You will need to bring the following documents with you:
- Photo ID, such as a driver's license, IDNYC card, or passport
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number determination letters (original, copy, or electronic document) for you, your spouse, and your dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and your dependents
- Income statements or forms, including:
- Form W-2 (wages from each job)
- Form 1099-INT (interest)
- Form 1099-DIV (dividends)
- Form 1099-R (retirement plans)
- Form W-2G (gambling winnings)
- Form 1099-G (unemployment)
- Form SSA-1099 (Social Security benefits)
- Form 1099-MISC (miscellaneous income)
- Form 1099-B (sale of stock)
- Form 1098-T (scholarships and grants)
- Form 1099-C (cancellation of debt)
- Your 2018 tax return, if available
- Verification of health insurance for each person listed on the return (Forms 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C) or Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if applicable
- Form 1098-T (tuition payments to attend a university or technical college)
- Form 1098-E (interest paid on student loans)
- Documentation of child care payments for your children. Bring the provider's name, address, and Employer Identification Number, Taxpayer Identification Number, or Social Security number.
- Records of cash and non-cash charitable contributions
To request direct deposit for your refund, you will need checking or savings account and routing numbers, which you can find at the bottom of a check.
If you are married and filing jointly, both you and your spouse must be at the site to sign required forms.