- Be at least 19 years of age
- Have a current chauffeur license or New York State class A, B, C, or E issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, or equivalent from any other state. Holders of Non-New York State Department of Motor Vehicles licenses must submit a certified state driving record from their state no more than 90 days before filing the application.
- Owe no debts to the Taxi and Limousine Commission, the Department of Motor Vehicles, or the Department of Finance
- Have a valid Social Security number
- Complete taxi school
- Complete the wheelchair accessible class
- Complete a Department of Motor Vehicles-certified defensive driving class no more than 3 years before filing the application
- Submit a medical history (Form B) form signed by a doctor, attesting to medical fitness to drive a taxi
- Pay applicable fees
Initial application fees are $252, and drug test fees are $26.
Additional fees are charged for the chauffeur license, defensive driving course, wheelchair accessible course, and taxi school.
Fees are payable by credit card, debit card, or e-check. If you are paying a drug test fee with a money order, make it payable to LabCorp.
Timeframes to receive a license vary, based on the completeness of the application and the fulfillment of the requirements. Each application and its processing time will depend on the individual's fingerprint response report, any prior Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) license revocations, and outstanding requirements or clearances from the Department of Motor Vehicles, Department of Finance, and TLC. A general timeframe cannot be provided.
Once you have completed and submitted all TLC requirements, your application will be thoroughly reviewed. You will either receive your license by mail, or you will receive a letter requesting additional necessary information to continue the application process.
For faster processing, you are encouraged to take your drug test and to register for and attend taxi school as soon as your application has been submitted to the TLC.
If you do not complete all the licensing requirements within 90 days, your application will be denied. All application fees are non-refundable.