You must first report your card as lost or stolen before you can request a refund from New York City Transit (NYCT).
Refunds are only available for lost or stolen 30-day unlimited passes that were paid for with a credit card, debit card, or Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card.
After you have already reported your lost or stolen card, you must then call New York City Transit (NYCT) Customer Service at 511 to request a refund for any unused portion of your card. You must call 511 immediately after reporting your card lost or stolen and before the end of the 30-day unlimited ride period to qualify for any refund review.
For approved refunds, NYCT will issue a credit back to your credit, debit, or EBT card. If NYCT processes a second refund for you in the same calendar year, a $5 administrative fee will be deducted from the refund amount.
You will not be able to get a refund if you previously made two or more reports of lost or stolen MetroCards within a calendar year.
Refunds are not available for the following types of lost or stolen Fair Fares NYC MetroCards:
- Any purchase of time or value paid for with cash.
- 7-day unlimited passes and value added for Pay-Per-Ride that was paid for with a credit, debit, or EBT card.
- Agency: New York State Department of Transportation
- Division: 511NY
- Phone Number: 511
- Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
- Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Call volume is often high. If you don't get through, call back later.