The City’s Home Support Unit (HSU) works with landlords, real estate brokers, and property managers in all five boroughs to lease vacant apartments to qualified New Yorkers receiving rental assistance.
HSU can help participating landlords and brokers navigate the rental process by:
- Arranging viewings
- Assisting with leasing paperwork
- Providing substantial financial incentives to landlords and brokers for placing qualifying tenants into stable housing.
HSU’s in-house Landlord Customer Service team can help answer payment questions and is available to assist with any other issues that arise during tenancy.
Property owners who lease vacant apartments or rooms through HSU may be eligible for:
- $4,300 Landlord Bonus
- 15% Broker’s Fee
- Unit Hold Incentive (covers an additional month’s rent when the landlord agrees to accept a DSS/DHS/HRA client and not lease the unit to anyone else during a period of up to 30 days, covering any anticipated vacancy expense)
- First month of rent in full and up to 11 months of subsidy payments paid up front
- Security Voucher (equivalent to one month’s rent)
- Access to the Special Supplemental Assistance Fund (SSAF) (covers up to $3,000 in damages and rent arrears, in addition to the security voucher)
Landlords or brokers who are interested in renting an available apartment or room, or who would like additional information, can contact HSU.